Monday, December 10, 2012
I'm amazed that I'm still coming up with new combinations for pizza toppings. Apparently the possibilites are endless. (And I already have a few more ideas up my sleeve.) Homemade pizza is our favorite dinner around here. The dough takes a little work, but the results are totally worth it. Even Dustin prefers it to just about any take-out version (especially deep-dish which we've learned isn't our thing). This pizza featured chicken and bacon, bits of cremini (baby portobello) mushroom, and juicy slices of roasted red peppers. I just used mozzarella, but next time I think I'll get more adventurous with the cheese- something smoked (cheddar, gouda, etc.) would add the perfect pizzaz.
Chicken, Bacon, Mushroom, and Roasted Red Pepper Pizza
1 recipe pizza dough
favorite tomato-based pizza sauce (jarred or homemade)
1 large boneless skinless chicken breast, grilled and thinly sliced (or a rotisserie chicken would work well)
3 slices bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled
8 oz. cremini mushrooms, sliced
12 oz. jar roasted red peppers, drained and sliced
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
2-3 cups mozzarella, shredded (you could also add smoked mozzarella, cheddar, or gouda)
1. Prepare pizza according to recipe directions.
2. While dough is rising, grill chicken and cook bacon. Prep vegetables.
3. Preheat oven and pizza stone to 450 F.
4. Top prepared crust with a thin layer of pizza sauce, sliced chicken, crumbled bacon, mushrooms, peppers, onion, and cheese.
5. Bake on pizza stone in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes, until the crust is puffed and golden brown and the cheese is bubbling. Slice and serve.
Makes 1 large pizza.