Wednesday, February 27, 2013
Broccoli rabe again. This time with smoky mozzarella and briny black olives on a chewy puffed pizza crust. There's something about broccoli rabe I really like. It's somewhat like a cross between spinach and broccoli- with leafy greens and florets, but not as slimy as the former and less bulbous than the latter. And while it can be bitter (it comes from the mustard family which includes turnips), with some careful preparation I've never found it to be so. (If you want to ensure it loses its bite, boil it for a minute or two before adding it to the skillet.) The only other addition I would consider for this pizza (not that it needs improving in the slightest) would be some sausage. Broccoli rabe + Italian sausage = awesome. Like I've done here.
Pizza with Smoked Mozzarella, Black Olives, and Broccoli Rabe
1 recipe pizza dough
1 small onion, thinly sliced
12 oz. broccoli rabe (fresh or frozen), trimmed and chopped (if fresh)
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt and freshly ground black pepper
~2 cups smoked mozzarella, grated (I probably used a bit more)
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
handful sliced black olives
crushed red pepper flakes
1. Prepare pizza dough according to recipe directions.
2. While the dough is rising, heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until tender, about 10 minutes (or longer if you want to caramelize it). Add the garlic and broccoli rabe and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
3. Preheat oven and pizza stone to 450 F.
4. Brush prepared crust with some olive oil and top with onion/broccoli rabe mixture, mozzarella, Parmesan, and black olives, and sprinkle with crushed red pepper (to taste).
5. Bake on pizza stone in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes, until the crust is puffed and golden brown and the cheese is bubbling.
Makes 1 large pizza.
(Adapted from Gourmet)