I'm also excited to announce that since Tuesday, I've been officially removed from bedrest! I've reached the 35-week mark and after reassuring ultrasound results (baby is looking big and healthy), my doctor told me I'm allowed to do whatever activity I can manage comfortably. For an unknown reason (the baby is still dropped just as low and my signs of labor have actually progressed further), I'm feeling and moving better by the day. Less pain + less laying around = happier me. But I'm definitely still taking it easy- the intense discomfort could quickly return or I could be delivering a baby any day!
Lemon Sticky Rolls
6-8 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp. instant yeast
2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sugar
zest of 2 lemons (reserve the juice for using in the glaze below*)
3/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 eggs, whisked
2 1/4 cups warm milk
1 1/2 cups sugar
heaping 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
3/4 tsp. ground ginger
zest and juice of 2 lemons
6 Tbsp. butter, melted
Lemon Cream Cheese Glaze:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
*juice of 2 lemons
2 cups powdered sugar
extra lemon zest for sprinkling on top
1. In a large bowl combine 3 cups flour, yeast, salt, sugar, lemon zest, and nutmeg. Whisk to combine. Pour in wet ingredients (butter, eggs, and milk). Stir until it is a thick paste. Add the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until it comes together into a ball.
2. Lightly flour a flat surface, and knead the dough, adding more flour to prevent sticking, 8-10 minutes, until smooth. Spray the inside of a bowl with cooking spray, place the dough inside, cover, and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
3. To make the filling, in a small bowl combine the sugar, nutmeg, ginger, and lemon zest. Slowly add the lemon juice, mixing with your fingers or a fork, until the mixture resembles wet sand (you will probably not need to use all of the juice).
4. Punch down the dough and divide in half. Roll out each half into a large rectangle. Brush melted butter over the surface of the dough. Spread half of the prepared filling over each rectangle of dough. Roll up lengthwise. Cut each log into 12 evenly sized pinwheels. Place into lightly greased 9x13 baking pans. Cover each pan and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
5. Preheat oven to 350 F. Bake rolls in preheated oven for 15-18 minutes, until golden on top. (DO NOT over-bake. Soft and doughy is better than browned.) Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack.
6. While the rolls are baking, prepare the glaze. Beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer unti light and fluffy. Beat in the lemon juice and powdered sugar until light and smooth.
7. Spread the glaze over the hot rolls, dividing it among the two pans. Sprinkle with extra lemon zest. Serve warm.
Fills 2 9x13 pans (about 24 rolls).
(Dough from here, Lemon Sticky Rolls adapted from The Kitchn)